Saturday, April 30, 2005

Fw: Carol's essays


----- Original Message -----
From: "Eleanor Cooney"
To: "laura holtan" ; "carol wolman"

Sent: Saturday, April 30, 2005 4:39 PM
Subject: Re: Carol's essays

> Laura, it's fine with me if people have "beliefs." They can worship the
> monkey god while singing Mary Had A Little Lamb backwards, for all I
> care. But when a certain line is transgressed, it's no longer an issue
> of live and let live.
>
> There's a political movement afoot today in this country, and its aim is
> to gradually replace "democracy" as we know it with "biblical law." It's
> called "Christian Reconstructionism." It's real, and they are deadly
> earnest. Don't just take my word for it--do a bit of research and you'll
> find out how real it is. Unfortunately, the politics of corporate greed,
> power and plunder overlap conveniently with the grim theology of the
> Reconstructionists, and an unholy alliance has been formed, each finding
> advantage in assisting the advancement of the other. In the person of
> George W. Bush, theology and corporatism have merged and are
> indistinguishable from one another, producing a truly dangerous hybrid.
> Do you want to live in a theocracy? I don't. Do you want to live in a
> theocracy where the wealthy elite rule, and people are their disposable
> slaves? I don't. Do you want to live in a world where logic, independent
> thought and education are slowly eradicated, where people accept the
> idea that the planet earth is a throwaway chunk of dirt? I don't. Wake
> up and smell the sulfur: You may find it hard to believe, but there are
> legions of people who actually hope for Armageddon, because they believe
> that they'll all be airlifted to heaven. This suits the corporate
> greedheads just fine--it gives them unbridled license to plunder. Who
> loses? You and I and every other living thing. This is why Carol's tone
> is urgent, and yes, sometimes angry. This is an emergency. We don't have
> the luxury of being nicey-nicey.
>
> E.C.
>
>
>
> laura holtan wrote:
>
> >Thank you for your reply. I think this dialouge is
> >great. I also agree that Carol is writing with
> >positive intentions, but I do feel that sometimes it
> >comes out negatively. Also, while I think it is true
> >that she mainly bashes Bush, she also bashes those who
> >are not similarly minded at times, which makes me
> >uncomfortable. I could send you cited examples if you
> >like, but I think that might perpetuate a "bashing of
> >Carol" which is not my intention at all. Again, I know
> >that Carol is ultimately writing out of love for
> >humanity, I just think that humanity includes Bush,
> >the Rapture followers, and mainstream America.
> >
> >Thank you,
> >
> >Laura
> >-- Eleanor Cooney wrote:
> >
> >
> >---------------------------------
> > Dear Laura--
> >
> >I implore you to read Carol's words more closely. She
> >never "bashes"anyone but the big bad guys (Bush & Co.)
> >who are manipulatingpeople's fear and faith for truly
> >nefarious purposes.
> >
> >Best,
> >E.C.
> >
> >
> >
> >__________________________________________________
> >Do You Yahoo!?
> >Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
> >http://mail.yahoo.com
> >
> >
> >
>
>

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home